Wednesday, April 27, 2016

How We Live our Lives

In my new role as chair of the Ethical Action Committee for the Ethical Society of Austin, I had to give a report for this month's semi-annual membership meeting.  The last such meeting was only the second or third ESOA meeting that I had attended, and I learned a lot about the society.  I really wanted my report to be just as informative and meaningful so that anyone who might be in the same situation I was last year (interested but cautious) would get some reassurance from my report.  Plus I was excited to have bunches of stuff to report.

You can go to the ESOA website to see how I break down Ethical Action into categories, so I won't repeat that here.  I did want to think a little bit more about the section on Living as ethical action in that report.  I threw in some stuff that I thought maybe folks might not have really thought about:  co-location with Workers Defense Project (we rent meeting space from them), the weekly discussions of ethical dilemmas in our lives, and the big question of how we live our lives.

I counted the latter as ethical action because we all, more or less, subscribe, more or less, to the Eight Commitments of Ethical Culture.  By doing so we make ethics central to our lives and actions and we actively seek to improve ourselves, our communities, our world.  Sometimes that is as small an "action" as treating someone we interact with so that we bring out their best.  Each time we choose to act ethically, we have performed an ethical action.  A simple concept, but I felt it was worth mentioning lest we think of Ethical Action as something that can only be done at the organizational level.  Very often it's just personal.

This point has been brought home to me today.  As I've been catching up on some news and generally procrastinating on some actual work that needs to be done (a serious talent of mine--wish someone would pay me to procrastinate--I am really good at it), I ran across an article about the boycott of Target being undertaken by a half a million people.

Hey!  I boycott Target.  Have been since 2010.  The CEO donated Target money to support an anti-gay gubernatorial candidate (in Minnesota).  I have gay family members.  I have married gay family members.  I was really angry to see that kind of money being used to promote inequality.  So I quit shopping at Target. As I recall,  Target later repudiated this fellow's action and distanced the company from the whole thing.  But I was pissed. So I never went back to Target.  It wasn't as hard as giving up Hobby Lobby anyway (yes, I boycott them, too).

Now it seems others have jumped on my bandwagon (not that I ever mentioned it to many people).  When I followed the headline, I discovered that I should have paid more attention.  The people boycotting Target are all upset because the company has adopted a policy that allows people to pee in the restroom that fits their gender identity.  Target is standing up to the wave of hate and discrimination that seems to be sweeping across our country in this electoral season of madness with a nationwide policy that says that transgender people can at least feel safe from that kind of stress while dealing with a basic human function.

Well, I guess my boycott is over.  All is forgiven, Target.  Well, not forgiven. That was a dumb "business decision" way back in 2010.  Still, I need to stop looking at that red target sign as a symbol of discrimination and now read it as a symbol of inclusion and rationality and, well, courage.  My perspective has changed, and my actions will now follow.

We make choices.  How we treat people is an ethical choice.  How we spend our money is another one.  It's also personal.  I didn't shop at Target for personal--and ethical--reasons.  I do shop at Walmart--for personal and ethical reasons.  Not everyone would agree with my decision to shop at Walmart, but I am content in the knowledge that a beloved family member has a stable job in a supportive (yes!) environment that matches her skills and abilities.  It's important to me to be able to "support" this family member in a positive way just as it was important for me to be able to "support" my gay cousin and his husband by not spending money with a company that I perceived as contributing to a hostile environment for their lives.

Now I need to learn the lesson about not holding a grudge.

And go shopping.


2 comments:

Trish Taylor said...

Thank you, thank you for bringing up this topic! I have pondered this as a platform topic for years. We really do "vote with our pocketbook" when choosing to financially support a certain business or not.

After the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, and due to the manufacturing practices and abuses in China, I vowed to never buy any products "Made in China". You can imagine how hard that was....like trying to empty the ocean with a teaspoon. I finally gave that up, because there are other countries now that are even more abusive.

I have been a WalMart non-shopper for about 17 years, due to many of their business practices. Now I live in an area where WalMart is the only place to shop...oh what a conundrum! Again, WalMart couldn't care less if I shop with them or not.

But we all have to live with our own consciences, so weighing the pros and cons of spending our money with any particular business should be a consideration to all of us. Thanks again for bringing this up.

Carolyn A. Parker said...

Good points, Trish. Part of the problem with WalMart is that they have forced many previously thriving businesses out of business in small towns. Where you used to have drugstores, hardware stores, small dress shops, and so on, now you have WalMart--and no place else to shop. On the other hand, WalMart takes a lot of flak because poor folks shop there and because their employees don't always fit some ideal profile. I think it's fine to criticize WalMart because of their business and employment practices. Pile it on. Change can happen.

But I could definitely get on my high horse about some of the shameful and mocking posts that I have seen around. These are attacks on people for being who they are. In my case, I am so grateful that our sweet girl has a safe place to work with a corporation that has been there for her wherever she wanders--and sends her health insurance with her.